March 13, 2018

The Beginning

One day sometime back, this Kiowa guy who lived in Kansas got this idea to do some podcasting. The idea hit him where he worked, hearing different radio stations and blog networks do interviews on topics ranging from dieting, book promotions, to even the NBA on the upcoming season. From there a dream started, but never took off.
In the early beginning of this Native American hosted podcast, the ideas, the topics, the show ideas, were still being decided upon, yet taking the chance the decision was to jump right into a live podcast. Things went good right? Not really, and this is the topic of this first blog. When you decide to do something like podcasting, or even blogging having some understanding of what you are going to podcast or blog about is the first start, why? One thing that I did after getting started was researching. Yes there are many articles about how easy it is to start a podcast, what type of equipment you need, to what sites are the best to get your blog or podcast higher ratings, for example google how to start a podcast, how many sites came up? Maybe there is an article on how to start a radio podcast, or how to start a business podcast, and how to make a podcast, are just some examples which can help you get the idea of getting the podcast off the ground. But before doing all that, what exactly is a podcast? How do I find a topic that will get listeners? Can I make money off my Podcast? These questions are somethings that I had to understand myself, which if I took time to research before just jumping in, maybe I could have made a better effort to understand the direction which the show needed to go.
These questions and the reality which I faced may happen to others, or maybe you have a successful podcast and have helped others understand that there is more to hosting a podcast then just getting together with friends and talking about a subject which may not be on anybodies mind. As you look at the questions posed previously, I had to really look at why I wanted to get into podcasting, and how can I make money doing it (which I have never done!!) But it didn’t stop me from trying. To be successful, sometime learning from the failures and struggles help you identify what needs to be done differently to ensure that I am reaching those whom are looking for what I am trying to get interest in. I am not an activist, I am not famous, so the reality of finding the right topics and who may want to hear what the topics are being expressed could have been a key to my success (or failure). What is the purpose of this opening blog?
The purpose is to not give up on the idea that you cannot make your podcast or blog work. One of the key things I have learned, especially being a full-time employee, having a family to care for, as well bills to pay, and finally finding the intent of why do a podcast. In the next article I will do a brief history of podcasting, and even give some statistical numbers of the growth of the podcast since its inception.
Give us a follow or leave a comment to help talk about different ideas that have helped you grow your podcast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment